Thursday, March 31, 2005

He's been drinking for ten days

My friend, who shall remain nameless although he doesn't deserve to, called me from the airport tonight and said,

"Sorry I couldn't make it to see you before my flight left, I got stuck in Kyushu and then when I finally arrived in Osaka this morning I called a friend and discovered he was having a day off today, so we met and got stinking drunk, and oh, by the way I'm getting married in July and I've become a Buddhist."

I laughed and laughed and laughed.

There was silence at the other end, and then he said,

"Er... um..."

"You're SERIOUS?" I asked, and stopped laughing.

"Er, yes. It seemed like a good idea when they mentioned it. I mean, it must be nice to be married. And ... you haven't met her, have you? She's lovely! What a babe!"

"Send pictures," I said. "Does this have anything to do with the fact that her father is a policeman? And are you sure about the Buddhist thing? I TOLD you that group is more like a cult..."

"Oh, I don't think so, they're not that bad. It's all pretty relaxed really," he said hurriedly. "I just have to mumble for a couple of minutes in the mornings. It doesn't take much time or anything, you know I'm not all that religious, I don't really get into things like that ... hold on, my flight is being called, got to run..."

He had been worried about meeting her policeman father. But he'd emailed me from their house to say, "He's just your typical Japanese alcopop, no worries!"

NO WORRIES?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

>>>just have to mumble for a couple of minutes in the mornings.<<< LOL! Now, there, unwittingly, he has succinctly summed up the essence of man-made religion: useless rituals and a lot of hot air, ROTFL!

Tran Sient said...

You have to clap and toss cash in a well from time to time from what I could tell too.

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of the time that I asked my Indian veterinarian what he'd been up to in the past month, and he said he'd gotten married. (It was arranged). Man, was I ever surprised! I don't know if I'd like to be matched up with someone and have to marry them straight away like that...

http://pimme.blog-city.com

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm missing something here - what's an "alcopop"?

I've been remiss lately - but am back to catch up with you!!

Badaunt said...

An alcopop is a word my friend made up, from 'alcoholic' and 'pop'. An alcoholic father. There are a lot of them here.