Monday, May 30, 2005

Noisal discharge

I went to the doctor this morning, on my way to work. I told him I had a cold and wanted something to keep me going. He checked all the obvious things and took a few notes. Then, just as I was thinking he had forgotten, he asked me how my bowels were. I told him my bowels were fine. He said that I shouldn't drink concentrated fruit juices, and I said I didn't usually and wouldn't start now.

I felt a little better after that. It doesn't feel like a proper doctor visit if he doesn't ask after my bowels.

He told me what medicine he'd give me.

"There's something for the noisal discharge," he said. "And something for the phlegm, and for your throat. And this one here is to increase your fever."

I stared at him.

"What's that last one again?" I asked.

"To increase your fever," he repeated, watching me intently to see if I understood.

I hesitated. " Er... why?" I asked.

"Your temperature is a little high," he said. "This medicine will bring it down."

"Oh!" I said. "To DEcrease the fever."

"Yes, yes, of course. DEcrease. That's it," he said, looking a little embarrassed. "Ha ha."

I decided not to mention the noisal discharge. Anyway, it sort of fit the way I was feeling. I'd just heard the first sound truck of the day going past. The Man thought they were finishing yesterday, but he was wrong, apparently, and anything that gets rid of noisal discharge is fine by me.


Technorati Tags: , ,

3 comments:

Paula said...

I am now on two noisal sprays for the coldthing that won't die. Ugh. My docs never ask about my bowels!

RuKsaK said...

Noisal discharge is bad, but there are other orifices that could deal you a harder blow.

Anonymous said...

I was once the privileged third party to a conversation between a doctor and an elderly lady troubled by haemorrhoids as large as grapes (Apparently, I did't look to check).
Grapes have never been the same since, especially the juicy seedless variety.