Saturday, September 11, 2004

Technology envy

I can't remember if I bragged about my new toy here before, but a couple of weeks ago I bought a new all-in-one printer/scanner/copier. It also reads memory cards from digital cameras. I instantly scanned a couple of photos I had lying around (there's one of me here)(and another here, from my dirt-eating days), and since then haven't used it. But I will. When I need to. I just don't need to right now.

I told a friend about it and she asked me to take her to the place I bought it, which has good prices and good support. We went today and after some time considering the options, looking around at all the wonderful other toys, and a lot of interesting cross-language cross-cultural exchanges with store clerks (2 hours, to be precise), she bought a better model. I'm envious. Of course mine was quite a lot cheaper, and does everything I want it to do and I'd never use the extra functions anyway, but still. Hers is cooler than mine. I'm suffering from technology envy. It happens every time I go to any electronics store.

I suffered even more after we had dinner and were walking back to the subway station and accidently passed this store, newly opened.

Actually, I didn't even notice it - I was thinking as we walked along, and was not really seeing anything. But the moment she alerted me and suggested going in, I stopped thinking and jumped at the idea.

Big mistake. I am now suffering from multiple technology envy.

2 comments:

Pkchukiss said...

I don't really have a high regard for multi-function devices. It is just that they seem so... Jack. Jack of all trades, master of nothing.

I salivate over dedicated devices, like that extremely cool RADEON 9800XT 256MB, or that sweet looking Corsair TWINX1024-3200XL (DDR400)... Too bad I don't have the dough to entitle my grubby hands on them.

*Stares at them ruefully*

Badaunt said...

I usually feel the same way - I worry that if one function breaks down then I'll lose all the functions when I take it in to get fixed.

But I've never had to have an HP fixed (we've had Canon and Epsom printers as well, and both had fairly regular problems whereas the original HP went on and on and on - and still does) - and also we have a spare, so I can use the old one if I need to. And having everything so compact is important to me - space is always a problem.