Sunday, September 12, 2004

Nonsense at bedtime

Last night as I was drifting off to sleep I was trying to remember Michael Leunig's version of 'Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep'. I couldn't get past the second line (Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the lord my soul to sweep...), and I was too sleepy to get up and hunt it down.

So I made up my own version, instead:

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the lord my soul to steep
Steep it like a pot of tea
Until it's strong enough for me.
Soul tea, to get me through the night
And face the morning clear and bright.

(A drop of milk I would prefer
Then add a little sugar. Stir.)




I woke up enough to write it down, then fell asleep almost instantly. This morning it made as little sense as it did last night.

2 comments:

Pkchukiss said...

So were you feeling sleepy, or thirsty?

Badaunt said...

Both. It was very hot again last night.

But it was the poem that inspired me, really, like a song lyric when you've forgotten the words. It was easier to make up my own than to get up and find the original.