Sunday, November 27, 2005

Inconsiderate

Today I cycled off to Uniqlo to buy some more cotton turtleneck jumpers. (Pullovers? Long-sleeved t-shirts?) There they are cheap and long enough in the arm for my orangutan body. (Almost.) Then I went to meet my private student. Naturally I forgot to take my camera, and I saw some lovely autumn leaves alongside the little stream by the railway line as I was cycling along. I must start carrying it with me again.

The Man didn't come with me because he has a cold. (Not the 'flu, of course. He had his 'flu shot and now he is not allowed to get the 'flu.) He went to the supermarket, though. When I came home he was asleep. He woke up as I was about to go downstairs to prepare myself some dinner.

"Oh," he said sleepily. "I got some eel... oh, never mind. Don't worry about it."

"I just want something light," I said. "Scrambled egg will do nicely."

I was being considerate. I'd cook for myself, I decided. He was sick.

I went downstairs, and got the eggs, tomato, spinach and parsley ready. I was hunting for shiitake mushrooms when I spotted the asari clams.

I sat back on my heels and stared into the fridge, pondering. Drool formed at the corners of my mouth. Eventually I closed the fridge door and went upstairs again, where The Man was more awake now.

"Um... I just spotted the asari," I said. "Were you going to make asari soup to go with the eel?"

"Yes," said The Man.

"I think I've changed my mind," I told him. "I don't want scrambled eggs after all."

When asari clams come into the equation I stop being considerate. The Man cooked dinner, and it was wonderful.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I have never tried clams.

Will google for another page now, because that one had recipes on but the translator only managed to convert the weights; the rest is all ??????????

Ms Mac said...

I think I have tried clams but they were named something else. Scallops? Or are scallops scallops everywhere?

Anyway, I can relate!

Badaunt said...

Ms. Mac: Looking it up for you now...

Scallops are hotatekai. Asari are ... cockles! (Really? I thought they were clams!) But basically, when The Man cooks with any kind of shellfish the results are delicious.

Cheryl: My favourite way of cooking with cockles (or shellfish, whatever they are - I seem to be confused) is to make a spaghetti sauce/soup. It's very easy (which is why I like it): Melt a little butter in a frypan, fry a little sliced garlic in it (remove if you only want the flavour but not the actual garlic),add the clams, add 1/2 to 1 cup of water, boil until the clams go AHH! like they want you to inspect their tonsils.

Add pepper (you don't need salt if they're seawater shellfish) and herbs (Italian mix is fine). Add chopped tomato if you want. Add greens a couple of minutes before you serve. I usually put in some spinach and parsley, but anything leefy green will probably do. Cook your spaghetti (actually, start that earlier so it will all be ready at the same time), making sure it's not overcooked, because it will cook a little more in the soup/sauce.

Eat. (Let me know if I missed anything essential.) I like it quite soupy and clammy, but if you don't have many clams/cockles/whatever use less water.

Anonymous said...

Mmm.. If those clams are what I think they are, you could try adding a dash of wine (well, maybe more) to the sauce/soup. I think the recipe calls for white wine, but maybe rice wine or sake would work as well?

Great blog, btw. I've been reading for *hours*!