Saturday, April 30, 2005

It goes both ways

For the politically correct who are made anxious by the frequency with which I mock Japanese English on my blog, here is something to make you feel better. I would have pointed it out earlier but I didn't know it was there.

When English speakers use Japanese, WE SCREW UP, TOO, AND IT'S JUST AS FUNNY. Xogij details some of the hilarious errors he found at CafePress when people tried to use 'exotic' Japanese on their designs. ("It's a hose"?)

This just confirms my theory: foreign languages were created in order to make us laugh. Whether they make us laugh at other people's mistakes in our language or at our own mistakes in theirs is irrelevant. Using a foreign language is FUNNY, and that's all there is to it.

For more of Japan from the inside from an intelligent and articulate Japanese person writing in English, I recommend that you read more from the Extraordinary Ordinary Guy in Japan. You will enjoy it. I am finding it most enlightening. I've found out what a 'social window' is! I DIDN'T KNOW THAT. (Is that 社会の窓? Must try it out on The Man tonight when he gets home and find out.)

1 comments:

melinama said...

I love your extraordinary ordinary guy and just blogged him, thanks!