Friday, April 22, 2005

Inexplicable

I have been remiss again, and I know it, but haven't been caught yet so I don't care. The other day I came across a self-evaluation form teachers were supposed to fill in. I thought I'd filled it in AND handed it in, but apparently I'd done neither because there it was, sitting in its envelope, untouched. I hadn't even scribbled messages to myself on the back, which is a quite frequent occurrence with forms. The due date was January 25th. Nobody has chased me up about it, so never mind. If I thought somebody was actually going to read it I would probably do it, but I doubt that very much.

I have a regrettable tendency to regard form-filling as an optional activity.

Today, at the same place, a colleague asked me something about a form he was filling in. I didn't know what he was talking about at first, but it looked familiar. Then I realised it was the same form we have to fill in every year at that place, and I'd left mine at home. It was due last Friday, so I'll take it in with insincere apologies next Thursday, when I'm at that place again. This one I know they do ask for if you don't hand it in.

But what makes this particular form so difficult to fill in is the sheer stupidity of it. IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. I'm sure it would be easier to convince myself it was important enough to do on time if it made sense, but it doesn't.

This particular form arrives at the end of a drawn-out and forest-destroying process:

The university sends out papers telling us our schedules.

They then send out more papers telling us which majors we'll be teaching. (I got this one twice this year. The information was the same, but it was formatted differently.)

Next, they send us yet more papers telling us which classrooms we've been assigned to teach these classes in.

We start teaching the majors we've been told to teach, in the classrooms we've been assigned, to the schedule they've given us

And then ... we get The Form. The one I feel so reluctant to fill in. The one that makes me want to march into the administration building and start banging heads together.

IT IS A FORM ON WHICH WE HAVE TO STATE OUR SCHEDULES, THE MAJORS WE'RE TEACHING, AND WHICH CLASSROOMS WE'VE BEEN ASSIGNED.

Is it only me? Does this make sense to ANYBODY?

2 comments:

Andy N. said...

As one of my good humoured teachers had a penchant for saying rather tongue in cheek before a schpiel of mostly useless information 'provided by the Administration': "Pay attention, there'll be a test on this later".

So, were you paying attention?

;)

Faerunner said...

Ah, organization...