Monday, May 18, 2009

You are being followed...

By . . . an elevator?



I don't know why this sign made me do a double-take, and turn around. The English is perfect. There really was an elevator behind me. But the elevator was not looming and chuckling evilly over my shoulder, about to swallow me up and take me deep down underground somewhere to some mysterious and terrible place where ... why am I even thinking like this?

Given that it was a perfectly accurate sign, why did it make the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up?


In other news, I have been sent home. Classes are cancelled all this week because of the swine 'flu outbreak. Students were unflatteringly ecstatic. The Osaka governor, on the other hand, wants to curtail my unexpected holiday.

3 comments:

Tabor said...

Very funny. Sometimes signs make me do a double take as well.

Roy said...

That reminds me. I've been meaning to ask if your refrigerator is running.

Violet said...

Perhaps the lift shaft is behind you but the lift is gone and the doors are open...