Sunday, June 24, 2007

Superpower

I have been listening to a live stream of the America's Cup yacht race, while preparing lessons (probably badly). It's actually more fun to listen to the commentary of these races than to watch them. If I'm watching, half the time I can't even tell which boat is which, let alone who is ahead.

The Kiwis lost yesterday to the Swiss boat. Today they are winning - no! they have won! - and I just heard something I never even imagined I'd ever hear. I heard an American commentator refer to the teams as 'the two superpowers.'

New Zealand, a superpower? What have you guys been UP to while I've been away?

(And I bet Ms Mac didn't know she was living in a superpower.)

8 comments:

Ms Mac said...

I remember writing in one of the boys' baby books that John Howard was a world leader at the time of their birth. What was I thinking?

Badaunt said...

Ms Mac: It's a mystery, all right. Were you on something?

Doris said...

New Zealand a Super Power? Wow! Must have been your Ambassadorial skills Badaunt ;-)

PS. I have re-branded from Grans on Bran to Doris Mash. Invites to the re-launch party will be forthcoming :-D

Badaunt said...

Doris: The blogroll has been updated. Welcome back! Again!

Looking forward to the party. :-)

Doris said...

Nice one :D

Bill C said...

NZ should lay claim to a new "super-duper power" category.

Lippy said...

Going from the radio news today, you'd think we'd won the Cup already.

But anyway, us little ol' kiwis a superpower? Hang on a minute while I roll about the floor laughing myself silly. Next thing you know, Helen Clark will be proclaimed a world leader... *snigger*

Badaunt said...

Helen Clark IS a world leader, in the same way that John Howard is a world leader - if you're on whatever Ms Mac is on.