Monday, June 11, 2007

Snake

Sometimes down at the little river I see turtles swimming, their little triangle heads poking up out of the water, or sometimes just their noses. Today I was cycling past and saw something moving VERY FAST, and stopped to watch. It had a small head, not poking out much, but it was going much too fast to be a turtle. Turtles aren't as slow in water as they are on land, but they aren't THAT fast.

By the time it came up on the bank on the other side of the river, I had my camera ready. It continued to move fast, but I managed to get a couple of shots. That was no turtle!



It was a shimahebi - a four-lined rat snake.

I have never seen a snake in this area before, so although they're not great photos I was rather pleased to get them at all. I wish I'd managed to get one that included its head, though.

These snakes are harmless, according to what I've managed to find out, but still, I'll be watching a little more carefully where I walk the next time I wander down beside the river.

2 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Eeeek! I wouldn't have stuck around long enough to even switch the camera on!

kenju said...

Harmless or not, I would get too close. I bet he goes to the water to eat frogs. EW.