Thursday, November 15, 2007

Shocking

The cat in yesterday's photo was not the only cat down by the river yesterday. There were three. One was a black cat, who was having a nap in the sun on the path. When I walked past he did not move, so I stopped to see if he wanted to be stroked. I held out my hand, and he stretched forward to check me out and got zapped by my finger. That made him jump.

It made me jump too. Now that the dry weather is here I've been remembering to use my anti-static thingy on doorknobs but had forgotten about my cat electrifying qualities. It's been a while since I had a cat.

It used to be that when I stroked my old cat the static charge took some time to build up. We had a routine. I would stroke him for a while, then zap an ear (usually but not always on purpose), he'd bite me, and we'd part company for a while until we got over the whole thing.

But these days it seems that I go around permanently charged, which makes it a bit harder to establish a relationship in which these little routines can develop. Yesterday's black cat did not seem interested in getting to know me past our first startling encounter.

Perhaps next time I should try the touching the ground routine, like I used to do with the coffee machine at one place I worked. That might work, if he'll forgive me enough to let me try again.

5 comments:

Paula said...

LOL! I love shocking my cats. Not that I would ever, um, do it on purpose or anything.

Keera Ann Fox said...

Luckily, my cat seemed to understand it wasn't me when I shocked her.

Badaunt, I hope you get a 2nd chance with the black kitty. Not having a cat of my own any more, I love to get my dose of feline companionship through chance encounters with the cats in my neighborhood.

torrygirl said...

lately I've had the problem of being zapped every time I get out of a car and close the door. I've started closing the door with my jacket. Luckily I haven't quite graduated to elctro-shock therapy for pets yet...

kenju said...

My cats get shocked by me all the time, and they seem to expect it - since it never makes them leave my side.....LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm like you - I ground myself and STILL get zapped. I so hate that...