Wednesday, February 07, 2007

We're all mad here

Today I met some friends and we were talking about the scandal surrounding a particular 'mook' (magazine/book) published recently here in Japan about foreigners and crime. One of my friends had bought it and had it with her. She is going to use it for her cross-cultural studies. It is truly unpleasant, and there is an article about it at Japan Probe.

However, after finding that link above, I started clicking on other links from there, and eventually ended up watching this video and feeling ... better is probably not the right word. What IS the right word? I can't REALLY say this stopped me from wondering what on earth I am doing in this mad country, but it did make me laugh, especially the second part.

In the first part of the video I worried about the older man, as did my Japanese friend when I showed it to her (ABUNAI!!!), but the MISSION II section had us both in stitches. We were especially enchanted by the kanji coyly covering up the crucial bits throughout. 尻 (shiri, says the hind one, and 金 (kin) says the one in front.

In case you were wondering, the entire practical joke was dreamed up by a 17-year-old lad who wrote in to the programme (his letter is shown at the beginning), who thought it might be funny if they did something like this. 17-year-olds are ruthless.

7 comments:

tinyhands said...

Mission II was great and I nearly laughed hard enough to hurt myself. Thank you nonetheless.

Badaunt said...

Good, isn't it? Scary, too. I mean, I LIVE here. It is terrifying to think that I could one day find myself screaming down a ski slope in a jet-propelled massage chair stark naked, just because someone thinks it is funny.

tinyhands said...

If you think that's scary, check out the other video uploaded by that user, the porta-potty prank.

That one had me in stitches as well though.

Pkchukiss said...

Gee, I already saw one where they had one person's bottoms move slowly into another person's face. The game involves having the two person to shout the same answer to a question set by the host. The person whose rear is exposed seems to enjoy sabotaging the victim a whole lot.

Oh, by the way, you are tagged!

Badaunt said...

Tinyhands: I saw that one, and decided I did not want to think about it. It is just TOO HUMILIATING. The skiing massage chair was funnier, I thought. (Mainly because at least the humiliation happens at high speed, so perhaps people don't get to see your face...)

Pkchukiss: Tag noted. But did you know your spam filter hates me, and won't let me post comments on your blog?

Pkchukiss said...

Wow, that makes 2 anti-spam systems that you have tripped so far!

Pkchukiss said...

Wow, I just dug into the filter, and found all your comments there. I think you tripped it when you submitted multiple comments on the older posts.

Burst of comments! I've whitelisted your address, so it should be fine from now on!