Tuesday, September 16, 2008

From the sublime to the ridiculous

We got back to Japan last night. It has been cloudy and humid today, but not too hot. In fact the weather is much like it was for a lot of our time in Malaysia. It was a rainy sort of trip.

This did not matter all that much, though, even at the beach. There it rained most days, but not for long, and the sun was out for long enough to swim and go for walks and so on. Also, we had lovely accommodation with a great view from the balcony of our fourth floor room (that's fifth floor if you're American). And of course there were the hornbills, which made everything fine and funny.

On the second morning on the island, for instance, we woke up to rain. I made myself a cup of tea and took it out onto the balcony, which had a roof. As I sipped my tea, the rain stopped, and this was what I saw.


A little while later my tea was almost finished, the rainbow had gone, the first hornbill flew past the balcony on its way to the feeding platform – and life suddenly turned into a cartoon.


What more could you ask for from a holiday?

2 comments:

Megane~kun said...

With an awesome day like that... I guess none. What a great holiday! The rain didn't dampen the mood a bit. In fact, it accentuated the 'tropics' feeling more ne?

Omedetou on the awesome vacation and okaerinasai~!

kenju said...

Very good photos~!