Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Rose

The hardenbergia loves our garden, and we should not have planted it next to the climbing rose. It has overwhelmed the rose, which I had thought was indestructible. This year we have had, so far, only one rose blooming. Usually we have dozens, causing people to stop as they're passing to admire them. This year the hardenbergia bloomed wonderfully but the rose has had a hard time getting through to the sunlight.

I always neglect the rose. It usually blooms anyway, all over the place, and beautifully. Not this year.

We trimmed the hardenbergia yesterday but I fear it is too late. We will have another couple of roses – I have seen the buds – but I don't think there will be any more this spring. Certainly not the great clusters we usually get.

Maybe next year.



(Our one rose is PERFECT, though. And it is high up enough that the woman who usually steals our flowers cannot reach it. Ha.)

2 comments:

Hebron said...

Ooo... purdy :)

Hehe. I can hear it saying "Feeeed meeee Seymour" for some reason.
Must be the bright colour.

Keera Ann Fox said...

That is truly a beautiful rose. I assume it has an equally beautiful scent to go with it?