Sunday, March 25, 2007

Tomato trick

You may (or may not) have noticed that I rarely give hints for cooking. There is a good reason for this. I am not a good cook (except when it comes to custard). However, I do have a tomato trick. This is a trick I learned years ago as a way of making out-of-season tomatoes taste pretty damned good, which they don't usually.

(I will warn you up front that it is not a particularly HEALTHY trick.)

What you do is to slice the tomato in half, sideways, then use a knife to make crisscrossing slices in the middle bit, which is always a bit hard in out-of-season tomatoes. On the middle bit, put a little brown sugar and a dab of butter. Then grill the halves for a few minutes, until the butter and sugar are melted in and the tomato is sizzling and a tiny bit blackened around the edges.

If you can taste butter and sugar you have used too much (although I have to admit I haven't managed to use too much butter yet, and wonder if it is possible). But if you have used the right amount, your tomato will taste MUCH better than out-of-season tomatoes usually do.

It will taste almost like a real tomato.

3 comments:

kenju said...

This is a fabulous tip! I promise to try it often (I'm not a cook either).

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum. In Alaska, tomatoes are always out of season!

To digress--planning a new blog and making a list. When I got to "my blogging style," I went to the "my blogging style is linked to my personality" test....
http://bloginality.love-productions.com/index2.php

Wow!

Lippy said...

Hmmm... interesting. I usually bury mine in avocado, salt, lemon juice, garlic, chips and Tequila.

But I guess your way's MUCH quicker! ;-)