Monday, January 09, 2006

Proper dog posture

Today when The Man and I went out on our bicycles I took the camera especially so that I could get a picture of a dog we often see. It is usually sitting bolt upright, as if it had a father like mine, who would shout, "SHOULDERS BACK!" periodically at dinner time, in between, "ELBOWS OFF THE TABLE!" and "DON'T LICK YOUR KNIFE!" My father was worried that we'd all end up with bad posture and worse manners.

This dog has perfect posture. "I was brought up properly," it seems to be saying. "When I sit, I sit neatly, with my back straight and my paws just so."

Today, however, it was lying down. But it even lies down neatly, back paws tidily together, front legs elegantly crossed, tail curled around just right. It is a perfect model of dog posture. I'm sure it would never even dream of putting its elbows on the table.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh!! What a beauty! She (is it a she?) looks kinda gloomy though.

-fallensnow

Pookie65 said...

She is a gorgeous dog. I can't imagine she'd be too thrilled about being chained up on that porch in the event a kitty should run by for her to chase but at least she has fresh air.

Perhaps I should consider some obedience/training lessons as I tend to slouch. Not to mention scratch myself on rare occasion.

kenju said...

I love seeing dogs with their legs crossed. They somehow look pensive that way and contented.

Anonymous said...

Ever considered changing professions? Like becoming an animal psychologist? You seem to 'get' into their heads so easily...love your 'mind-reading'.

naridu said...

in that second picture it's almost as though he/she is looking at me in a "You do NOT want to hug me. Do Not hug the dog." fashion.

So cuddly yet dignified.

Unknown said...

You made me hastily whip my elbows off the table!