Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A normal sort of day

Today The Man and I went shopping, to get some bit for the toilet, which is leaking again, and a towelling bath robe for me, since my old one was chucked out in the Great Cleanup The Man did recently. This was not his fault. I had a brain fart. Apparently he held up the robe and said, "What shall I do with this?" and I looked at it and said, blithely, "Chuck it out." I don't know what I thought he was talking about. That bath robe was an old favourite.

Anyway, on the way over to the store where you can buy bathrobes and toilet bits (two stores actually), we saw some gulls alongside a little river. They were all in a row on the fence, and looked very decorative.



I like the way gulls are colour coordinated, with their red beaks and matching legs.


We also saw some ducks. The ducks didn't look real. They looked like decoys.



But when I clicked the shutter again, I timed it just as the decoy duck came alive and dived into the water. I thought I'd caught its tail, but I didn't, so you'll just have to take my word for it. This is a diving duck.



We got the toilet bit, and the bath robe, and also a mouse for my computer. Now all I have to do is clear my desk enough so that there is a flat space to put it on.

After we got home The Man talked on the phone with Okaasan. She informed him that there was something she'd forgotten to tell him when she saw him and now she's remembered to tell him but has forgotten what it is. She'll call again as soon as she remembers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pigeons, gulls, ducks,...lots of animally things in your life. Must be a nice place to live. I'm sure there's bird life and such here too...I just don't see it. Maybe coz I drive a car. Not a bicycle. Ride a bicycle, I mean.

kenju said...

I like the color-coordinated gulls too.

Okaasan has nothing on me. I forget and remember and forget again ad nauseum.

Lippy said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who 1) has brain farts or 2) has that particular reference. Now, we know you have a fondness for hanging on to things, but new is good too. Just think - the new bathrobe will surely be a favourite in no time at all! Sure it will!

PS. I'm back - couldn't stay away. Or shut myself up... *sigh*

Martha Craig said...

Have you seen Finding Nemo? All the gulls say is "mine mine mine". It makes them seem very creepy.

The Village Idiot said...

I was going to post something that I'd forgotten to post last time but now i've forgotten what that was.

Thanks,
the idiot

Badaunt said...

Wendy: There are not many animally things in my life, which is why I take pictures of them. I get all excited that there is something ALIVE in our concrete jungle. If they were there all the time I probably wouldn't.

Kenju: Forgetting can be a very useful art. Don't knock it!

Lippy: Perhaps brain farts are a NZ speciality...? (I'm glad you're back.)

Martha: I have Finding Nemo. I just haven't quite got around to watching it yet.

The Village Idiot: As soon as I remember what I was going to say to you I'll let you know.