Friday, November 26, 2004

Navel gazing

I've been using Bloglines for a while now, and as anyone who uses it will know it gives you suggestions for blogs you might be interested in. You get a message that says: "Based on your current subscriptions, Bloglines has generated this list of feeds that you might be interested in. This list is updated daily." Sometimes the list contains some very interesting blogs, and this is a good thing if I have time to read them and a bad thing if I don't, because I add them to my feeds and end up with a huge backlog of unread but probably fascinating blogs.

But recently something a little disturbing has started happening. It has started recommending my own blog to me. It has become quite pushy about it, moving me right to the top of the recommended list. I'm not sure whether to be flattered or alarmed.

Does this mean I only read and write about the things that interest me? It makes me feel terribly narrow-minded, but on the other hand, well, should I read and write about things that don't interest me?

And what is my blog about, anyway, that would make it so fascinating to me? Even I'm not sure, and I write it. I can't think what gave Bloglines the idea I'd be interested in reading such nonsense.

1 comments:

tinyhands said...

HA! This reminds me of a favorite episode of a favorite television program- the main character programs his TiVo to record a program featuring a gay character, at which point his TiVo starts recommending nothing but gay/lesbian related shows. "My TiVo thinks I'm gay!" he cries, and he has to try to disabuse the TiVo of that idea by asking it to record wrestling, car racing, and other 'manly' shows.