Friday, September 21, 2007


What do you call that little plastic stick thingy like a cocktail stirrer that chain coffee shops give you to stir your coffee with, instead of a spoon? Because in Japan it's called a muddler, and if it's the same in English I need to update my vocabulary.


Carrie said...

Muddler actually sounds cool for that little thingee. I call it a stirrer or a stir stick.

Badaunt said...

Yes, I like the idea of muddled coffee, too. :-)

tinyhands said...

I think muddler would confuse many Americans, unless you also called it a swizzle-stick.

Nil Zed said...

in america, a muddler is the little crusher tool that good bars use when they are mashing fruits or mint leaves to make you a very good cocktail not from a bottled mix.

But for coffee, it's a stirrer, particularly the wooden onces. The plastic ones which are hollow like tiny straws are called straws and used like straws by some people. These people are stupid, ignore them.

(great blog, by the way. My husband is a professor and I'm amusing him greatly reading out some of your classroom tales.)