Monday, October 15, 2007

Camel racing

I don't know whether camels are related to cats, but I think they must be .

Alice Springs stages a camel meeting each winter and mounts can be unpredictable. Sometimes they run backwards, or stop a few feet from the finish line and refuse to move.

That is pretty much what I imagine a cat race would look like, aside from the running backwards thing. (A cat's version of that would be to suddenly decide to wash its private parts.)

I think camel racing sounds like a perfect substitute for horse racing. I would go, hoping to see a camel run backwards. I don't know why exactly, but I'm having real trouble imagining what that actually looks like.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oz, which mostly believes itself safe from the outside world, has joined the rest of us with Equine pneumonia; and in most places - except Melbourne which has a national holiday for a 3 minute long horse race - racing is off for the rest of the year.

We'll bet on anything down here. Sheep racing, cicada racing, you name it...