Monday, April 16, 2007

What I saw today

Today on my way to work I cycled past the little river. The cherry blossoms have held on for a long time this year, but they are almost finished.


I saw a cormorant, but it was very busy, fishing. I took a lot of pictures, mostly of bubbles. This is the only one that included some cormorant.


I also saw the Grey Heron, who was standing very still, perhaps washing his feet.


The Little Egret was there too, talking to himself.



I saw some carp, including one that appears to be albino. I don't think I've ever seen a white one before.


And last but not least, I got a rare glimpse of the amazing Umbrella Bird in its natural habitat.

8 comments:

M. said...

oh yes, the "umbrella bird" its other native habitat i believe is the ubiquitous umbrella stand. ;-)

Bill C said...

"Albino Carp" would make a great name for a rock band.

Or a weblog, for that matter.

Anonymous said...

Masterpiece !

kenju said...

How lucky you were to be in the very spot that the famous umbrella bird decided to make it's appearance!!

Keera Ann Fox said...

Around here, umbrella birds sometimes congregate in gutters or under bus seats. It pays to keep your eyes open. Most of ours are the black kind. Good camouflage as they do like to stay out after dark.

Other trivia from the Number 13 Universe: The cherry trees where I live have only just started to bud so I still have flowers to look forward to. And I can't tell an egret from a herring, er, heron.

Your pictures are great and the captions are even better!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. It takes a lot of shots to get a cormorant. And I'm surprised the umbrella bird goes over side a wide habitat to be way over there. lol.

Anonymous said...

I feast on your photo of almost-gone cherry blossoms...we are above freezing here in Alaska, but buds will come next month...

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

Good job, you! All my umbrella bird shots are urbanized, covered in tattoo stripes and polka dots.
Hard to get a good clear shot of them, too, because it's always raining when the show up.