Thursday, April 26, 2007

Emergency lesson plan

This morning there was an earthquake, felt in this area as a 3 on the Shindo scale, but not by me. I was on a train. I started from second period today, not first. A colleague told me, however, that she was on the 10th floor at the time, teaching. She felt it very strongly up there, and got quite frightened.

I will be on the 11th floor of the same building tomorrow morning at that time, with my lone, very difficult student. I am hoping there will be another small earthquake at the same time tomorrow, because if there is I will insist that we evacuate, using the stairs. It will probably take us a good twenty minutes or so to get down (especially if I trip a couple of times, and perhaps have to stop for a rest), and then we will have to wait around a bit to make sure it is safe. Then we can go back to the classroom and finish early because we're too traumatized to study.

That sounds like a lesson plan to me.


(Note that I am hoping for a SMALL earthquake. I do not want a big one, especially not while I'm up there.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

R. 5.1 epicentre Shikoku, 45Km down. Big enough to put my own earthquake nerves right on edge...

kenju said...

The only time I ever felt one was in Costa Rica, in 2002 (I think). I was on the top floor (4th) of a hotel, and the bed started shaking so badly it appeared to be walking across the room. I thought it was windy, but the trees were standing still - so that's when it hit me that it was a quake. I hope I never feel one again! (Or you either)!

M. said...

bah, i didn't feel that one. oh well. as for the lesson plan, its quite nifty! ;-)

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Sounds like a good lesson plan - well thought out, well timed! Good luck.

Pkchukiss said...

Love that lesson plan - sounds like something I would secretly plan and hope would happen back when I was younger, and didn't do my homework!