Saturday, December 31, 2005

Slowdown

Today The Man and I are off to Okaasan's place for our traditional Japanese New Year, as usual. We will watch some appallingly bad singers on TV (Kohaku, the Red and White Song Contest) dressed up in amazingly over-the-top costumes, and then watch the countdown on NHK, where they gong! in the New Year with temple bells from all over Japan. At midnight I'll kiss Okaasan and she'll giggle, and The Man and I will head off to the local shrine. Tomorrow we will stuff ourselves with traditional New Year's food.

I love New Year here. Everything slows down. It used to slow down for three days - everything was closed until the fourth - but these days many shops are open already on the second. Still, the first is a lovely, peaceful day.

When I come back I will repost the pictures of the birds, with the winning captions. I know I said I'd do it on Wednesday, but Wednesday flew past without my noticing. I started my New Year slowdown a bit early.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year~ =)

Artistic Soul said...

I remember New Year in Japan being quite fun and festive. I'm hoping to avoid any odd things tonight...we'll see what happens...

kenju said...

Happy New Year, badaunt!

Doris said...

May you have a wonderful year ahead. I hope the students do well and that there are some new corkers to share :-)

naridu said...

Happy new year :) and cheers to finding a new word to fascinate your students again (although I'm not sure how you will top 'diarrhoea')

Jesse Hull said...

I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. Thank you for sharing. Black spots may also be caused by dirt on the screen. The black spots will typically go on their own, but if you see them every day, it might be time to wipe your laptop's screen. Read this article to learn about Factors responsible for Black Spot.