Monday, June 09, 2008

What was in it?

When I was a child some of my favourite picture books concerned people or animals that set off on a big adventure. When they did, they never carried a suitcase. Instead, they carried a stick over their shoulder, and at the end of the stick was a cloth bundle.

I always puzzled over this, and last night I realized that I still do not know the answer to the question that kept me staring at the picture when I was little: What was inside the bundle?

I thought it was one of those things I would know automatically when I grew up, but I don't. It is still a mystery. Last night I decided that the bundle probably contained spare socks and underpants (if heroes wore underpants in 'once upon a time'), mittens for cold weather, a spoon, and a cheese sandwich. But that can't be all. What else was in there? And why was it always so nicely round?

Any ideas?

9 comments:

Hebron said...

I can't say for sure. Probably provisions and money.
But then again, if they had money, they'd use it to buy a belt pouch and use the stick as firewood >.>

StyleyGeek said...

I bet it was a rock, for making stone soup.

As for why it was so perfectly round, they had probably read this handout from the Japanese government.

kenju said...

I always thought there would be a toothbrush, clean underwear, a sweater and maybe a pillow!

torrygirl said...

I always thought it was picnic food. The bundle always seemed to be made out of what looked like picnic blanket material, so it made sense to me that there was food inside.

Now that I think about it, I'm not so sure, because it seems stupid to set off on an adventure with just a packed lunch...

Roy said...

I think, a toy his father carved for him when he was little, a really cool looking rock he found a couple years ago, half a loaf of bread, a sweater, cell phone, gps device. Or one cantaloupe. Why do you ask these questions??

Ms Mac said...

I just kind of always assumed it was a big loaf of bread.

Badaunt said...

I like the idea of a cantaloupe in a furoshiki.

(And Roy, I ask these questions to keep you awake at night.)

Keera Ann Fox said...

Thanks to another story I read, I've forever pictured cheese wrapped in those cloths.

Morpheus said...

perhaps a blanket to keep warm at night..