Sunday, September 27, 2009

Crow convention

Last week sometime, Tuesday, I think, there was a huge crow convention held in my neighbourhood. At least fifty crows gathered on the roof of an apartment building down the road, the tallest building around here. When a huge flock of them took to the air and I pointed the camera up, I couldn't get it to focus.

I have never seen so many crows in one place before. Usually they gather in families of four or five, and sometimes seven or eight, but I'd never seen dozens gathering like that. They were very noisy, and I think they were plotting something.

I did get a couple of good shots, but only after most of them had left. In this one the power lines got in the way, but I quite like the effect.


One crow landed on the top of a pole on the building. I don't know what this pole is, but it doesn't look like a comfortable spot for a bird to land, really. That didn't stop the crow, though, who seemed to enjoy being top bird. In this picture you can see its feet wrapped around the pole.


When The Man saw this next photo, he told me I should add more pole coming out the top of the crow. I tried, but it didn't really work. I'm not that good at manipulating photos. I don't have the patience to get it right.

In any case, it already looks like crow-on-a-stick.

2 comments:

kenju said...

We don't get conventions of them in our neighborhood; more like small group meetings. LOL

They gather in my cul-de-sac and walk around pecking for lord-knows-what in the street.

Good pix!

Unknown said...

We live in western North Carolina,and crow conventions are held here once a week.We actually have our home flock who come to feed twice a day on scraps etc.Today 8/19/10 at least 150 crows had a convention across the brook from the house.My wife and I had a great time trying to figure out what they were discussing.Needless to say we haven't.Go crows!