Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Melons

Adachi-san just turned up at our door. Adachi-san is the local independent builder. We recommend him to everybody because he doesn't rip you off like the big construction companies do here, as a matter of course. He is a lovely man, forty-something, and has missing teeth. Builders in Japan always have missing teeth. It's a Japanese tradition.

He yelled outside for a while, knowing that our doorbell is broken. Eventually I realized the yelling was for us, and yelled back from upstairs. (The broken doorbell has never been fixed - since the earthquake - because we discovered we LIKED not having door-to-door salespeople ringing it daily. The people who know us yell our names.)

I went downstairs.

Adachi-san was there, grinning from ear to ear and carrying a box.

"I know The Man isn't here," he said, "But tell him the kids are really happy. This is for you both. Thank you!"

(Or maybe he said 'the kid' - there is no plural in Japanese.)

I took the box, sagging a little and somewhat dazed by his gapped-tooth grin and his total obliviousness to the unfortunate fact that my Japanese isn't up to his speed or his level of street talk. He burbled on for a while more, cheerfully, and I missed most of what he said except that the kids are REALLY happy, and please thank The Man.

I promised I would thank him, and Adachi-san left, still laughing. He slammed the gate. He always slams the gate. His natural exuberance demands it.

In the box were a couple of melons. I don't know what melons cost right now, but they're never cheap.



What has The Man been up to? He left the house about half an hour before Adachi-san arrived and didn't say anything to me. What has he done? Has he been doing magic tricks for Adachi-san's kids? Has he been telling them tall stories? Giving them presents? (Do they still think he is Turkish or Pakistani? Will he go to hell for telling lies to children to explain why he doesn't seem quite Japanese enough to them?)

I don't have the foggiest idea what's going on, but I do appreciate the melons.


Technorati Tags: , ,

7 comments:

Doris said...

What a wonderful story. I hope you will update us when you get to the bottom of it with The Man!

Cheryl said...

Doubled!
What happened?
What a lovely thing to happen. :-)

John said...

Nicely done! Your writing style is eloquent and easy and fun to read. And what a wonderful story! I remember seeing the delightful way the Japanese people presented their fruits and vegetables at the grocery stores. Each one meticulously packed and presented as to make them look like a work of art. Do they still do that? Apparently they do based on the photo of those melons. How wonderful.

John

Badaunt said...

Apparently it was our old DVD player. He offered it to the builder, because we got a new one and selling the old one is more trouble than it's worth. (The new one plays DVDs from any region, which means we can watch English DVDs we buy abroad, and for them this is irrelevant.)

But apparently nobody could get it to work, so The Man went around and hooked up the system for them.

(He also arranged something illegal with their cable setup which resulted in an extra cartoon channel or two, hence the happy kids. However, he has instructed me not to mention it here.) (Oops.)

Doris said...

Ah-so! That's why :-)

Mary J. said...

what a great thank-you gift!

Megan said...

Ah, the mystery is solved. What a nice way to say thank you. (And what a nice hubby too.)

On a totally unrelated note, I mentioned you in my class today. It is strange to discuss with my students the blog of someone I don't know, but I found myself doing it. I don't remember what I said, but it had to do with something I'd learned from you. Just thought I'd mention that even ESL students in the US know who you are now...you're famous!